Borrowing and Returning
To borrow and return books, please head to the Information Desk of the Main Library, Audio & Visual Center, Humanities and Social Sciences Branch, Mathematics Branch, Physics Branch, and Chemistry Branch.
- When borrowing books, please present your own library card and make sure the checked out items are correct. All transactions are recorded and depend on My Account.
- Patrons must follow the copyright law and the motion picture rating regulations when borrowing audiovisual materials. If violated, the patron will be responsible of the legal liabilities.
- Patrons may use the book drops during afterhours.
- Please remember to check the records on My Account after returning.
- Overdue books will be charged of fees and privilege suspension.
- Renewals are allowed if the items are not reserved by others. Log into My Account or head to the Information Desk to renew.
- The checked out items can be renewed from the next day borrowed, and renewal times is unlimited, but can only renew once per day.
For service hours, please refer to Library Hours.
- General Collections: books, CDs, DVDs, cassettes, and VCDs.
- Restricted Collections: NTHU theses and dissertations, journals, newspapers, microfiches, and course reserve materials are for library use only.
Hold & Recall
- Patrons can reserve items that have been checked out, either online or in person.
- Pick-up notices will be emailed to patrons on the day after the reserved items are returned. Patrons need to pick up the items within 3 days after receiving the notification email (weekends or NTHU-planned holidays not included).
- If patrons do not pick up the reserved items within 3 days, the items will be passed on to next patron in queue, and 1 penalty point will be added to your library record. If 3 penalty points are accumulated within 1 month, then your library account will be blocked for 30 days.
- Patrons can cancel the hold online via My Account, as long as it is within the pick-up dates.
- All checked out items can be reserved by others, thus book recalls are possible even during winter and summer breaks.
- In case if patrons cannot return the recalled items in time, you can ask others to help you return, or mail the items to the Main Library’s Circulation Desk. Be aware that the arrival date will be taken into account, not the mailed date.
To avoid missing out on any of the notification emails, please make sure that the registered email address is correct. To update email address, please login to My Account. Please see Recall Policy
for more information.
Overdue, Damage & Lost
- If patrons fail to return items on time, overdue fees will be charged and you will lose your borrowing privilege. If items are damaged or lost, you will be responsible for compensation.
- If items are damaged, please inform the librarian when checking out.
- If any item is lost, you must inform the library before the due date, and either buy a new copy of the item for the library (processing fee also needed), or pay the compensation fee. If the item is also overdue, there will be overdue fees, too.
- If items are overdue for more than 30 days, or the unpaid overdue fees accumulate up to $500, the patron’s access and borrowing privileges will be suspended until the matter is resolved.
- If missing items are out of print, there will be a compensation fee of 3 times of the cataloged price of the item. If the catalog price is unavailable, the compensation fee is according to the following rule: Chinese books $2,000 NTD/each item, foreign language books $3,000 NTD/each item, home-edition audiovisual materials $1,000 NTD/each item, and public-viewing edition audiovisual materials $5,000 NTD/each item.
All missing items’compensation must be approved and calculated by the library staff; if the readers are under age of 18 will have their guardians held responsible for the compensation.
My Account & Notices
- Please check on My Account for all transactions.
- For first time users, please use the default password (twice the barcode numbers).
- Use My Account for checking the loan list, loan history list, hold requests, booking requests, and cash transactions, also for changing password and editing profile.
- As an item is checked out, the according due date, overdue, recall, and pick-up notices will be scheduled and sent at a regular interval.
Committee of Patron Grievances
- To ensure patrons’ rights, the Library Council has set up the Committee of Patron Grievances, composed of 7 branch library committee members, 1 student representative, and 1 staff representative.
- Patrons with borrowing privilege are able to file complaints regarding library’s management or others related.
- Complaints must be filed in paper documents and in person within 10 working days of the occurrence to the Secretory Room on the 4th floor of the Main Library.
NTHU professors and handicapped persons can authorize others to borrow the materials they need.